Do Your Homework - Home Inspections
Questions to Ask
1) How long has the inspector been in business AS A HOME INSPECTION firm?
2) Is the inspector specifically experienced in RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION?
3) What does the inspection include? Inspections should include visual inspections covering exterior, structure, garage, plumbing, heating, cooling, electrical, interior, insulation and ventilation. Extras include radon testing, a pest infestation survey or inspection of septic systems or wells. Be sure the inspector will provide a written report.
4) How much will it cost? Determine fees up front. Inspections cost from as little as $200 to as much as $1,000 depending on the size of the home and which inspection services are requested.
5) How long will the inspection take? The time depends on the size and age of the home. An average inspection can be 2 to 3 hours.
6) Bluntly ask what educational and/or training facility the inspector attended. Does the inspector participate in continuing education programs to keep his/her expertise up to date? Ask to see the inspector's papers. When hiring a company, make certain that your home will be inspected by a registered professional.
8) Does the company offer to do any repairs or improvements based on its inspection? This might cause a conflict of interest.
9) Do they belong to an association that will investigate a consumer complaint?
10) Do they carry errors and omission insurance?
11) An home inspection is a valuable opportunity for a buyer to get accurate information on a property that could become their next great home investment!